Friday, April 10, 2009

The kids help with housework

I haven’t posted in the last couple of days because we did not have official class sessions until today. And today was a short session because we had a pediatrician appointment to get to. Anyhow, we spent the last couple of days running errands around town and doing some spring cleaning in CC and RJ’s rooms. It was time to clear the closet of clothes that CC and RJ have outgrown, and the kids also needed a refresher on toy organization.

Before learning about Montessori education, I will admit that most of my house cleaning happened while the kids were playing in another room or watching television. Although my kids have always been eager to try to help me, I used to find distractions for them so that I could get things done faster. Now Post-Montessori, I don’t necessarily go out of my way and suggest that my kids help me with housework, but if they say they want to help then I try to find a way to include them. Yes, everything takes longer to complete but the kids get such joy out of helping that it’s definitely worth it. Plus, they are learning to be more responsible for their rooms rather than having me pick up after them. Here are a few of this week's highlights…

While cleaning their rooms, CC and RJ (mostly CC) helped me with sorting clothes and organizing toys and books. CC practiced folding clothes, and when RJ would get distracted and try to start playing with CC, she would say, “RJ, it’s not playtime it’s cleaning time”.


CC and RJ now help take out the trash by taking out the recycle trashcan. We talk about what is recyclable and what isn’t. It takes a long time but they seem to like the challenge of getting all the recyclables in the tall trashcan.

This week, CC also started helping keep their small dining table clean. I filled a small spray bottle with non-toxic cleaner (which I watered down to be extra safe), and she now sprays and wipes down the table after messy meals.
All the organizing lately has even influenced CC to start organizing her refrigerator alphabet letters.
She likes to keep her letters lined up by color… they stay that way until RJ comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment